Happy New Year, and how fitting I should start the blog year off with another entry about one of my absolutely favorite people in the world: Lisa Marie! If you are part of my family or circle of some of my friends, who read this post out of pure love for me, you will now insert the obligatory eye-roll, so feel free to do so at this point. However, if you are, like me, a total LMP junky - you know you are jumping up and down either internally or straight up and without shame. And it's cold out there, so the enthusiasm will do you good and warm you up.
If you read my previous blog entry, you know I ended last year with two of Lisa's shows in Virginia. Thinking initially, 2013 was indeed going to be the end of Lisa's amazing Storm and Grace Tour, I was soon thrilled to find out Lisa and the band had some amazing surprises in store: namely 2014 show dates, starting with the APAP Showcase at the NYC Winery, featuring Lisa and (initially) three other artists. One of the performers, American Idol alumni Crystal Bowersox sadly had to cancel her appearance due to illness, and her spot was taken by Willie Nile. Simon Townshend also had been added to the line-up, that, other than Lisa Marie, now included Carbon Leaf and Garland Jeffreys.
Knowing my long suffering and sweet husband Chuck had promised me a trip to the Big Apple for my 45th birthday, I guessed he'd only be too happy to see Lisa again while making good on his promise. Especially, since he somehow had missed out on the 2013 shows. Initially, I had hoped my friend Deena (whose amazing blog Deena's Days I know many of you also follow- and if not, go check it out now- you are missing out) would also be in attendance, but her plans changed for this weekend. I had already booked a hotel in Soho, very close to the venue, when two very dear family friends, John and Cherie, also decided to join the fun. Perfect! New York, friends, and Lisa! To not totally shock Chuck with my now serial Lisa-show attendances, I surprised him the trip to New York as a Christmas Present, then later added the tidbit about also seeing Lisa. He was, of course, thrilled. No, really, he adjusted admirably well, which is, after all, why I love him so. And no honey, I am not just saying that to butter you up :). <3
With our friend at the helm of his minivan, we left Maryland early that Saturday and made our way to the City trough seemingly never-ending rain and intense fog. I hate bridges- but crossing them in this soup was kinda cool- like flying. Arriving at the Holland Tunnel, it seemed most Jersey buildings had somehow lost their upper halves. Thus, we were also sadly deprived of the amazing NYC Skyline that always gets me all hyped up. It has been four years since my last trip- what in the world is the matter with me? Excitement was building as we entered Manhattan. There they were- the yellow cabs, the towering buildings (which disappeared into the grey and white fog), and the crazy energy that is unique to this city.
My friend Cherie and I had scoped out map quest and both ascertained that the hotel was indeed in very close walking distance to the Winery. Which was perfect- as it was still pouring. Somehow we secured street parking down the street from the Four Points Sheraton Soho - which, if you know New York, was a small miracle and saved us crazy city garage fees.
The hotel was lovely, by the way. Even though I still don't see through what was going on in the elevators that at times took FOREVER to show up. It seemed that staff was always busy inside the cabins polishing mirrors- but hey, they were always polite and pleasant. Smart cookie that I am, I signed up for the preferred guest program and got a lovely, for NYC spacious, 7th floor (which if you know me, is a great number) room with a wonderful, black tiled, shower, as well as free water (so what if they only bring you one bottle at a time?) and coffee. After some rest from the long drive, we freshened up (which in my case meant to figure out WHAT in the world do do with my frizzy hair), and we made our way downstairs. Somehow, both the guys who waited for us outside the lobby, as well as us girls almost picked up new dates, but hey- what can we say? We are that amazing! And smell real good, too, as Cherie and I were told. Guess I did an okay job with the frizz-mop, after all.
We had dinner reservation at the Barrel Room- the restaurant at the Winery. As our friends booked their tickets after me, we were seated at different tables for the show, but the wonderful staff of the winery was so helpful when I emailed asking how we could still enjoy dinner before the show together. Indeed, the Barrel Room, directly adjacent to the Winery main hall, was the perfect solution. Walking by the huge store front type window of the Winery, I spotted a familiar tiny lady, whacking on her drums. Lisa Marie was sound checking! Yes, at 45, I still have EEEEE moments, I have to confess. I think, at least I kept it internal, at least.
At this point, I would have been just as happy, had I stayed outside, in the rain, nose pressed against the glass, but the adults made me go inside. Sigh....I really missed Deena! Non-fans were so strict! As soon as we were inside, I heard the familiar "You can take my place..." - oh yeah! There was only a curtain separating us from the main area- and once again I could get a show preview during the sound check.
There might or might not have been some conversation between my husband and our friends, and there might or might not have been some information on wines and specials by the great staff, but if those things occurred, my mind - and ears- were occupied otherwise. Gotta hate that LMP ADHD (enough letter there, for you?). At some point I became lucid enough to order food and wine- and text Deena to fill her in. During that interchange, I found out that a newfound friend from the Wolftrap show, Paulie, was also going to be in attendance.
Dinner was lovely- as was the flight of wine I tasted, before Cherie and I decided on a carafe to later take in with us to the show. It was happy hour- and we are smart cookies! The burger I shared with Cherie was probably one of the best burgers I have ever tasted! We also shared an appetizer with avocado and scallops- which was amazing. The guys, real red blooded Americans after all (bad enough I made Chuck go to ANOTHER LMP show!), stuck with steaks and also seamed to be in heaven.
Before long, it was time to take our drinks over to the performance area, which, shortly before 7pm was already packed with fellow music fans. The table I had reserved was up front, slightly right of center stage. John and Chuck decided to sit at the table further back, and Cherie and I took our seats just as the lights went down. Perfect timing! The first act, Garland Jeffreys kicked things off into a high energy start. He moved around the stage and the room and soon had the audience clapping and dancing.
I had been wondering how long each performance was going to be, and having seen Lisa on drums, I hoped for at least Unbreak and Sticks and Stones (which I had heard her sound check)- other than that, I tried to keep my expectations low as far as length of each performance. However, Garland rocked out for almost 45 minutes- totally surprising me, giving me hope for the length of Lisa's set.
During the break, I texted Deena to find out if it would be okay for her to pass Paulie's number to me. I looked around, but had not been able to spot him, and I really wanted to say hello. Pretty soon, we were iMessaging and I located him just a couple of tables down from me- also very close to the stage. It was so great seeing him again! I love running into other fans who are as crazy excited as I am at these shows!
Next up was Simon Townshend, and if the name sounds familiar (which it did to me), that is probably because you also think of Pete Townshend of the WHO. And rightly so- as Simon is his younger brother. He took the show into a slightly different direction with is British songwriting style and humor.
Next break, the room filled up, as did the table we were sitting at. My friend and I were joined by a young lady named Diana and her lovely aunt. Turned out, she also was a great LMP fan and was here to see Lisa exclusively. One look at the stage and we knew Lisa was going to be next: we spotted the familiar tambourine, drums, and my good old friend Snoopy! - Excitement time!
The familiar chain gang chant started and out came Michael Lockwood, Damon Fox, John Sands, Louis Maldonado, and Jamison Hollister (back with the band after he had to skip the last leg due to his wife delivering their baby). As they were jamming up the intro Lisa came on stage- looking amazing as always, this time dressed in the short black and white, long-sleeved dress we have seen onstage in 2013, and flat boots. Michael Lockwood was in sleeveless vest and his foxtail, Damon matching Michael's top hat, while Louis wore his bowler hat- and Jamison- was- GASP- HATLESS!
Lisa kicked things off with a passionate rendition of So Long, followed by the ever sarcastic and tongue in cheek Over Me.
Lisa greeted her audience, stating that New York was one of her favorite venues and that she was thrilled to be back in the City. Hinting at her love for storms, she informed the audience the next song was about a metaphorical storm- and Storm of Nails followed.
During songs, Lisa, as always easily chatted and interacted with her audience- though much less so than at her regular full set shows due to obvious time constraints. At some point, a fan asked if she had enjoyed a good Christmas and she answered in the affirmative, stating how interesting things had been with all her children under one roof. As always, when Lisa talks of her children, she lights up- which, as a Mom myself, always makes my heart go soft and mushy.
When introducing the next song, Lisa stated with a little cheeky smile that she meant "every fucking word" and launched into You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. Having read a recent interview from her Boston show the previous day, I wondered if this was a response to the ever present "scientology" question. A little word to those asking Lisa the same questions over and over...and over: You would save a lot of time and could get real good answers if you took the time to actually LISTEN to her songs. It's all there. She's not hiding anything. Stop asking and start listening. Jeeze!
Lisa gracefully thanked her audience, asking if we all had a good time. Lady! Do you HEAR us screaming for you? Anyway, one audience member asked if Lisa was having fun, and she initially answered with, "Always." Then she thought a moment, saying, "well, that was an absolute lie." She clarified that she was not always having fun- but most certainly when spending time with her children, or with us, her fans. Awe! And this is why I love her. Well, one of the reasons, anyway.
The next song, introduced as "a little bit slower- a little bit sadder"- one of my all time favorites: Weary. Lisa was sitting down during this slower moment, as always giving me chills at the last line. Never fails.
I will always love you. You can move on, dear.
After Weary, Lisa informed us, she was told she only had ten minutes left, and therefore only had room for three more songs, causing us to moan and groan - and try to talk her into more. She assured us, she'd sing all night, but that there were rules. Sigh...always those silly rules!
Next up was everyone's favorite- "one of the meanest songs I've ever written..after a bad break-up and all that"- Idiot (as always in the past year plus, she again pointed out the Idiot in question was alive and well- and still fitting the title). I love this song, period. And- I absolutely adore the live Storm and Grace arrangement with Michael Lockwood having his spot in the sun- shining at the absolutely kick-ass intro between him and Damon. It just gets better and better every time I hear it. People cheered for Lisa's hubby and musical director- and she acknowledged him with "Michael Lockwood, everyone!" - before she launched into this crowd pleaser.
Next- Unbreak- "a song I wrote when I was broken." - This is always one of my absolute favorite songs during live shows as Lisa gives her drums that amazing workout making me always get rid of all my aggressions just by imagining how GOOD it must feel to wield those drumsticks! Gotta include that drum set on my bucket list.
Sadly, now it was time for Lisa's last song of the night- Sticks and Stones, her extended middle finger to all those having something to say about anything and everything she has ever done- or will ever do, no doubt. This jewel is on the Deluxe Version of Storm and Grace- and if you did not think get that album, you are so missing out! As in previous shows, she announced this song song as being "like an airplane- once it takes off you don't know where it'll go."
Well- let me put it this way. If it were a field goal - it would have been a perfect kick! Her voice lifted up and took off with its full, husky timbre, calling her critics out again to take a walk in her tiny boots. I have always liked this song. But I am in LOVE with the live arrangement and its edgy, spiraling, kick-ass ending, leaving Lisa on drums pounding away, Lockwood making his guitar scream, Louis going full out on violin, and Damon and Jamison providing the added fuel to this frantic, fiery, rousing finale, making the audience go nuts and lust for more.
Lisa took in the applause and thanked her audience-humble and graceful as always. Having attended her regular full- length shows, it really, really made me wish for this encores that always are the icing on the cake. Oh well, next time I'll really appreciate being up there dancing and singing close to the stage to I'll Figure it Out or whatever else Lisa comes up with even more! Sadly, this show was over. My new acquaintance, Diana, was put in charge by a friend of hers to gift Lisa with yet another Snoopy- and Diana was able to hand it to Lisa, who graciously thanked her before leaving the stage.
As always, there were no photos or videos allowed (don't ask how I got the ones I am sharing with you here)- but I was later made aware of several videos of small clips on youtube, the last one showing the ending of Sticks and Stones- which I will include in this post.
Lisa performing at the NYC Winery
Lisa jamming out to Sticks and Stones
Also, FINALLY, I was able to snag a set list! SCORE! Obviously, S.O.B (another personal favorite) and Lights Out fell victims to the time constraints. And yes, I whined about the loss just a little bit.
After Lisa's performance, I rushed over to Paulie- gushing about how amazing Lisa once again had been. I have now seen her live five times- and it just never gets old. Partly this is due to her personality, her voice, but to another part to her and the band really keeping things fresh, edgy, and interesting with ever changing arrangements and new tricks up their sleeves. Paulie and I chatted about Lisa's summer line-up and also strategized about which dates we might be able to attend. :) I was very happy to hear our friends John and Cherie, new to Lisa, also enjoyed the show. Diana and her company picked up to leave, but not before we exchanged information so I could share any pictures I might or might not have had on my phone. It's always so much fun to meet other fans and make connections! Later, I was able to chat a tiny bit with one of Lisa's sound technicians, who promised he'd wish her an early Happy Birthday, and with Damon Fox whom I ran into on my way to the lady's room., thanking him for a great show- telling him how much I was looking forward to this summer!
Chuck and our friend John came up to fill the empty seats at our table and they enjoyed the last two acts, Willie Nile, and Carbon Leaf with us ladies. Willie Nile and his guys got the crowd moving once again with their high energy show. I am still a bit confused about the guitars being converted to phallic objects that almost hit our friend John on the face, but hey....maybe I'm getting old. Then again, naw- that can't be it...
You might ask what acts I enjoyed the most. Well, other than Lisa, I have to say, I fell in at least like with Carbon Leaf- who gave a stunning set- probably the longest of the night. I really appreciated their interesting mix of blue grass, Irish, and country, as well as their easy interactions with the audience. Hearing they are from Virginia, I definitely plan on looking them up again. Always fun to expand my musical horizon.
The night came to an end around 1 am! Despite my hopes to somehow run into Lisa at the bar (okay- daydream, not hopes)- that did not happen, but I know this will not be the last time I get to enjoy her songs, lyrics, and tongue in cheek humor. 2014 is just starting after all!
The weekend was far from over for us, despite the night coming to an end with a stroll back to the hotel in the pouring rain. Hey- after the show I was high as a kite on music, so I didn't even care! Next morning, we hit the City HARD- Pounding pavement, earning our hotdogs and dinner in Little Italy. Per twitter, I saw, Lisa and family headed back to much deserved peace, relaxation, and green tea in England. I hope she rests up and enjoys her family and gorgeous home. Your fans are out here, love and support, you, Lisa- and I want to thank you for always reaching out to us- and for once again giving us something to look forward to in 2014. See you soon- and continue to SHINE!
©2014 BJL . All Rights Reserved.



sounds like you had an amazing time. Thanks for the detailed post, it was a great read and I enjoyed it a lot.
ReplyDeleteHi, I was at the show the previous night! and I feel like you were writing this blog for me! I am a long time Fan..yes of Elvis but Lisa as well..especially lately more of her music and not just because. We also came early to the Natick show at the Verve in Natick ( outside Boston} and had the almost exact experience as you..Lisa was rehersing behind a see thru curtain in lobby, and was going over lyrics to same song...my husband ushered me to small restaurant to grab a bite and a cocktail . I could not eat a bite .as I was thrilled to be in on her sound check!! She performed her full set..and lucky me got to meet her at the meet and greet . {It was my Xmas present from my husband.}..he is becoming more and more a fan :) Colleen
ReplyDeleteHello Colleen! So happy you liked the blog and thank you for taking the time to comment. I am with you all the way! I did the same in Virginia last year..lol- hearing her and not being able to eat at all. Lol! So glad you got the MnG. I got tickets for June 2014 for a MnG in PA. If you are on twitter, look me up there- if not- nice to meet you on here! And thanks again for reading. :)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete