Sunday, November 17, 2013

Loving Lisa - my visit to two of Lisa Marie Presley's stops on her Storm and Grace Tour

LOVING LISA


I've become to be a fan of Lisa Marie Presley in a roundabout way.  First, my mother is a huge fan of Elvis Presley, and so I cannot ever remember not knowing of Elvis and his family.  As a teen, I of course had a huge crush on the King and not only inhaled his music, but also read as much about him as I could, watched his movies, plastered the walls of my attic room in our summer house with posters, pondered his death, etc.  I was aware that his beloved daughter Lisa Marie was born the same year as me...which seemed pretty odd and bizarre, given the status of my crush on her dad. 

Next time I fell in love artistically was Michael Jackson.  That's another blog entries....or twenty.  So, when Lisa and Michael married in 1994, my interest was of course piqued.  I kept tabs on their story through their marriage, divorce, travels together post divorce, re-union rumors, and then Lisa's life from then on. I knew of her first albums in 2003 (To Whom it May Concern) and her follow up in 2005 (Now What).  

After June 25, 2009, Lisa again popped onto my radar with her riveting blog post, discussing her deep feelings of loss and regret. Lisa, by that time, had caught a great amount of flack for her appearances on a variety of talk shows over the years (including Diane Sawyer, Oprah, Howard Stern) and her discussions of Michael and their relationship- which were often less than flattering.  Personally, I had always thought that her level of anger showed deep hurt and probably even feelings of betrayal.  The kind of feeling coming from lost love, stolen hopes, and destroyed trust. Do I wish she had taken the high road....yes.  But we can never know what went on behind the scenes and on a very human level, I understood and understand her reaction. I came to learn that with Lisa, what you see is what you get. She is probably the most "real" and genuine celebrity (by birth, not by choosing) out there.  If you want to know about her pain, her hurt, her turmoil, and her triumph - listen to her songs, read the lyrics.  Speaking of lyrics, I firmly believe that Lisa is one of the most accomplished and certainly most underrated lyricists out there today.  The way she attacks words to tell a story knocks me on my butt over and over.

So- we lost Michael and I gained new insights into Lisa. My own grief propelled me into conducting some intense research into their complicated relationship.  Lisa's 2010 appearance on the Oprah Winfrey show confirmed many of my thoughts and much of what I had since learned.  And of course, she caught hell again (and that so soon after her well meaning call to bring sunflowers to Forrest Lawn as Michael had always loved them and she used to send them to him. Yes, when you are Lisa Marie Presley even a call for flowers can start "shit storms").  The level of crazy Lisa unleashes in some people is pretty amazing. Even to someone working in mental health. 

At the time, we all knew Lisa was working on a new album.  She had moved to England that year to escape the madness surrounding her.  We got a short preview of Weary during a performance in England in 2011..I think. I might be wrong about the date.  Either way, that song is one of my absolute favorites.  I cannot hear it and NOT have shiver bumps  May 2012 brought the release of Storm and Grace- her new masterpiece.  The album blew me away.  The unique sound, termed Southern Gothic by some, was well matched to her husky, dark voice.  Her lyrics- open and honest as always, ripped me wide open on a variety of levels.  For someone so contained and private- what an exercise in honesty and laying it all out there.  I went from casually liking her music to being obsessed. When her tour was announced, I knew I had to see her! 

In June 2012, I had my first chance at the Soundstage in Baltimore. Shortly before the show, when getting the tickets, I first made contact with the amazing Deena D- a long time fan of Lisa's and creator of the wonderful blog Deena's Days.  After communicating via Facebook and twitter, we happened to sit right next to each other- right by the stage.  Seeing Lisa live was everything I had hoped to be and more.  Her voice was even more amazing hearing it in person- despite her suffering from problems with her throat that night, making it necessary for her to frequently use a throat spray.  Still- the show was outstanding but sadly very short.  As I did not get chosen for the meet and greet, the night came to an early end for me, but still left me with great memories.

In November 2012, Chuck and I travelled to Lancaster, PA- where we saw Lisa at the Chameleon Club.  We also met up with Denna again, who attended with one of her friends.  Thanks to Deena, we got prime spot right at the stage- and we had the most amazing night. The energy was sky high- we sang, danced, sweated...and then got to meet Lisa personally.  Normally pretty cool and used to meeting different people from a variety of backgrounds, I turned into a bumbling, incoherent nincompoop.  Talk about star- struck! I look borderline psychotic in the pic we had taken.  But heck- I didn't even care! That night, I also got to talk to Lisa's husband, Michael Lockwood- and was taken by his easy-going ways and his great sense of humor.  Great guy!


Fast forward to this year.... After Lisa announced her 2013 dates, I somehow figured Lynchburg was the best venue to attend.  Lisa had added the option to purchase VIP tickets, and somehow it escaped my logic that the drive to Sellersville, PA (which included VIP tickets) was the same as to Lynchburg, VA (that didn't).  Yes, great thinking...not. By the time I figured it out, the VIP tickets were gone. Great.  I fail being a fan.  Still lots to learn on that front. On the bright side, I had talked my Mom, who was visiting from Austria, into going with me. As I told you in the beginning, she was and is a huge Elvis fan- so I didn't have to twist her arm too much.  

In the meantime, Lisa also added a tour date in Vienna, VA- which is really close to home. Sadly, also without VIP tickets.  My friend Tammy graciously agreed to go with me.  Chuck, at this point, had bowed out of the "following Lisa around" business.  Even though I hope to re-engage him soon. 

So, Mom and I took off to Lynchburg last week to attend Lisa's show on Friday, November 8.  We stayed at the local Holiday Inn RIGHT next to the venue: Fine Arts Academy. On the drive there (in the dark, and being attacked by leaves hurled at us by the high wind speeds)- I translated most songs on Storm and Grace to Mom, explaining backgrounds etc.  She was to be a very informed concert attendee! 

One of Lisa's buses was at the venue early on and I had hoped to sneak a peak.  I thought to spot her on the inside... Talk about excited!  During the day, we spent the time traveling to Schuyler, VA, visiting the Walton's museum. Both Mom and I are HUGE fans of John Boy and Co- so many childhood memories are tied into watching re-runs.  We had a great time, then drove back.  As always before shows, I was so excited, I could not fully enjoy the amazing Peruvian cuisine at the hotel.

Arriving at the theatre, I quickly figured out that this was to be a different crowd than the last venue (which had been a bar). Lisa seems to have chosen small theaters with established subscription holders for this leg of the tour. My guess is that maybe she hopes to advance her cause: her partnership with World Vision.  The patrons at these events might be more willing and able to sponsor children in different countries than bar goers. But I might be wrong. 

We had really good seats. Or so I thought, anyway. Mom, with horror, eyed the huge amplifier we were facing. But hey- it was second row.  And I love to feel the bass reverberating inside of me.  Mom thankfully found a way to cope with the sound once the show started.  

Waiting for the show to start, I looked around, assessing what kind of audience we were part of.  The people sitting behind us were amazingly sweet and nice.  The ones coming in late to sit next to Mom not so much. The lady (by my estimate a new money socialite from the local high society) spent the next 10 minutes leaning over into us, taking selfies of her overdone mug.  I'm sorry, but people who do not keep up with their position in space annoy the daylights out of me.  The all important self portraits were followed by pics of her and her...significant other. They were way too diabetes inducing and lovey-dovey to be married.  Thankfully, they settled down soon- either their ample amounts of wine kicked in, they liked the show, or their phone ran out of battery.  

Soon, the familiar chain gang chant started and Michael Lockwood and band came onstage. Lisa followed- greeted by cheers and calls from everyone. She looked amazing as always, wearing a simple black-silver gown, and performing barefoot.  The show was outstanding.  Lisa's voice had never been stronger.  She owned the stage.  While her comfort level when I first saw her in Baltimore was obviously quite low, she now seemed at home up there.  Lisa danced, jammed, hit those drums... The audience was quite interactive, and Lisa joked and conversed quite openly.  At one point, Michael Lockwood addressed his wife, saying, "I think we got booked at the comedy club tonight."  In addition, Lisa went out of her way to address a small little fan- greeting him or her and assuring the child her own twins would chase him/her around the theatre were they present. "They're five. They chase boys now. And they're always right."  


As before in Lancaster, Lisa pointed out that her song Idiot was written about someone "very much alive- and still an idiot"- an interesting point given that her haters had in the past proposed she had written the song about Michael (Jackson, not Lockwood).  Which is quite ignorant as Lisa, even in her worst pain and anger, would never call Michael's mind "mediocre."  I love this song- and I adore the Storm and Grace arrangement as well as Michael Lockwood's AMAZING intro solo. Lisa, obviously still has fun singing this "meanest song I have ever written" and her facial expression and intonations were priceless.

Other songs from the older two albums included SOB and Lights Out.

As before in Lancaster, Just A Dream was part of the setlist again.  Her delivery was touching and clear.  Those of us who have seen and studied her 2012 Oprah interview heard the words "I have never been that high" before...and so, the lyrics "I've never been that high as when we fell in love" have a special meaning.  When she got to "because I will always love you, you can move on, Dear," I was about in tears...again. I jumped up to applaud- and Mom whispered "she saw you that time." :) 

Lisa took Forgiving off the setlist and added Soften the Blows, which she explained to be "one of the songs I still love a lot."  She added, "I don't always like my songs after I write them. Writing them is like purging for me...but this one I still love quite a lot."  Storm of Nails was hilarious as her group of loyal, and loud, fans gave a GREAT interpretation of the MEOW after "wish that I was a cat right now....," causing Lisa to laugh about the variety of cat sounds emitted. 

Sticks and Stones came with Lisa's cautionary words that she had been "off for five days and one never knows where this song goes. It's kinda like a plane- once it takes off it could end up anywhere. I beg your pardon ahead of time." Her acapella intro did go off with only a small hitch- one to which Lisa, honest as always, gave herself a thumbs down, as she continued on.  The song written partly in the voice of her harsh critics always makes me smile and cringe.  For someone so small she has withstood so much nonsense.  Yes, everyone is a critic- especially when it comes to Lisa Marie.  Her invitation and cautionary words are wise and challenging- "You can take my place, you do it better anyway. But you better hide your bones from all the sticks and stones, so they don't break."  And Lisa has not broken yet- neither will she as she continues to prove she has all the talent in the world is not "just a name."

After much cheering and applauding, Lisa and the band returned for the encores of I'll Figure it Out, and Tom Petty's  Need To Know. Lisa even entertained the request of a very insistent fan (who shared his son's name is Presley) to come on stage and play the guitar. Lisa asked her hubby, who looked at her as if she had asked him to share his favorite toy- which she probably had.  It was explained that there was only one amp, - causing the fan to ask could he come up and pretend like he was playing. At this point, I think Lisa became slightly worried about the guys' sanity and moved things along.  Smart choice, I thought.  A fan gifted Lisa with a stuffed Snoopy- and Lisa explained that he had always been her favorite: "He's a bit cranky though...maybe that's why," she quipped. 

Several people, including myself had moved up to the stage and were dancing and singing. Lisa was extra sweet- going up and down shaking hands.  And yes, she shook mine. Again, allow me my nerdy fan moment, please. Thank you. 

I had written a note to give to Lisa, and her executive producer, I think his name is Jim (but don't quote me on that...like I said...names and old age do not jive), promised she would get it.  

Mom, freezing outside
After the show, Mom and I, as well as several other fans decided to wait around outside by one of Lisa's buses to see if we could talk to her shortly.  Mom was so excited, too! Sadly, Lisa was whisked away by car to the bus we were not at (good thing I don't play the lottery), and we missed her.  I felt really bad for the kid from Knoxville, TN waiting with us: A  very sweet young man, so excited that we are from Austria- just like the Von Trap Family (of Sound of Music Fame). He had driven up to see Lisa, and was going to drive back home that night.  This was is one and only chance as he would enter basic training the following Monday.  I wish him the best and hope he stays safe as he gets ready to serve our country. 

Lisa's Bus

Mom and I, though disappointed, brought the night to a great close at the Bar in the hotel.  Great night, indeed! 


++++++++

Fast forward to this week: Venue: Barnes at Wolftrap in Vienna, VA on Friday, November 15, 2013. I had been in contact with Deena about meeting.  Denna had originally also planned to attend the Lynchburg show, but had to change plans.  My friend Tammy and I were going to have dinner close by the Wolftrap, but due to the lovely norther VA traffic (if you live in the DMV you KNOW what I'm talking about), we decided to meet at the Barnes instead.  Deena and I met up after I erred around on Lynchburg Pike for a bit- and it was so great to see her again!

As we were among the first people to arrive, we got a great table and were able to listen in on the sound check: Hearing parts of So Long, Over Me, and others- most prominently Lisa's amazing YELL at the end of Need to Know.  Oh yeah, we were getting excited. 

Looking around, I found a similar crowd as the one in Lynchburg, and we wondered if we were the only "fans" there.  Well, we weren't. Through Deena, I later met Paulie, and we later had a great time chatting. We also spotted some other fans sporting LMP hoodies. 

If you have not been to the Barnes at Wolftrap and live in the area, make sure you go. The venue is unique- and the acoustics are amazing.  Seating is very "un-theatre" like: basically rows of chairs inside the ..well, barn.  This time, Tammy and I sat center of the 8th row, while Deena had second row seats.  Lucky lady! This was the furthest back I had ever been at any of Lisa's shows. Hey, different vantage points can be good, right? As I checked out the stage I noticed the Snoopy from Lynchburg front and center. And he didn't look cranky at all! 



As in Lynchburg, there was no opening band, not a bad thing in my book.  Once the room darkened, I as always, got super excited at the intro (I LOVE how it starts with just the voices, then Michael Lockwood and band enter, clap along, then the music gets louder and louder, carrying the tension with is- until Lisa appears and So Long starts the show). There was a little snag as the chant abruptly stopped. For a moment I had the silly thought that I hoped Lisa had not changed her mind.... Phew- then the music was back on. 

Energy levels were considerably lower than in the Lynchburg show.  The audience, not counting myself, Deena, and several other fans, was very quiet and almost stoic at first.  Maybe all the hearing aids had not come on line yet...not sure. Things picked up when Lisa joked about she hoped everyone had a good time. "Because that's why we're doing this."  

Before she started Over Me, a small girl came up to the stage, proudly carrying her very own tambourine. Lisa welcomed her to play along.  As the song started, I saw someone from management (the venue's, not Lisa's) come up and start berating the child and mother.  There was pointing and probably shouting that was not audible due to Lisa's beat.  I saw Lisa watching the events unfold while singing on. Slightly later, we heard the same child call out from way back, "I love you, Lisa Marie." To which Lisa replied, "I love you, too. Where did you go?"  Lisa then stated it was alright with her if her little big fan sat up front, and to bring her mom. The audience finally showed some emotion and applauded Lisa's gesture.  And I loved her just a little bit more. Who knew it was possible? 

Lisa also encouraged her audience to "get up and move and dance," but while we certainly did our share of chair dancing, the room didn't start moving until after the "last number."  Sticks and Stones, by the way was AMAZING and flawless- as Lisa's strong, dark timbre reverberated throughout the old barn.  

As usual, Lisa beat the living crap out of her drums. This time, unlike in Lynchburg, she did not throw them into the audience.  Well- some old lady might have been pretty startled... but some of us would have LOVED it! 

Notably missing this time, though on the printed set-list, was Lisa's new song, People, which is included on the sound track for the Walking Dead.  I loved the song a lot when I heard it in Lynchburg and hoped to hear it again. It's difficult to find online, and as I am not a fan of the Walking Dead, I probably won't invest in the whole album. If anyone can hook me up with a version- let me know. 

On a side note, Lisa's regular bass player was absent this time- and I missed their easy interactions and perfect play off each other I had admired in Lynchburg. Lisa informed us his wife had their baby- and they had added the new bass player- with little notice and rehearsal. What a wonderful job he did as well- and Lisa gave him his due, pointing out his steep learning curve. 

Some of Lisa's fans, including myself rushed up to the stage, as we cheered for her and the guys to came back out- which they did. Lisa acknowledged some of us- which made my day, week, month! She again shook hands- and seemed to enjoy that there FINALLY was some movement! As did I! I enjoyed the passionate rendition of I'll Figure it Out- and Lisa, I will ALWAYS be in the mood to be like you. :)  Tom Petty's Need to Know led to the usual jamming- and we were again rewarded by that amazing YELL Lisa let out. Girl! Lisa thanked us, informing us that she was out here for us- her fans. She let us know that she keeps around for us- and her kids. Like I said before, the terms "down to earth" and "real" are often used in connection to Lisa for a very good reason.

One of the funnest parts of going to live shows are some of the people in the audience.  This time, the stand outs were a massage therapist who wanted to soothe Lisa's aching wrist NOW, and the woman we lovingly termed "shot lady." You know who you are. And don't get me wrong- I'm only teasing. I know you are all there for the same reason I am: we love this little lady! 

After the show, Deena, Paulie and his friend, and I hung out outside, hoping to catch a glimpse of Lisa. Deena and Paulie both had tickets for the next show in Sellersville, PA- Tickets of the VIP kind.  And yes, that green tint shining through the night was my envy.  Gotta keep it real. Lisa finally did emerge (probably after reading our wonderful, pleading tweets as we stood in the light rain- KIDDING), and waved to us, thanking us again.  Then she escaped out of the rain.  Smart lady. 

Deena and I hung around a bit more, making sure Lisa did not suddenly change her mind and come out for a little chat in the fall sprinkle. Isn't optimism a wonderful trait? We did meet her drummer, John, who is a super nice guy- and together we watched that wizard of a bus driver somehow dislodge Lisa's bus from the spot beside the barn without damaging any tires, rims, sidewalks, or people.  

Another great night came to an end in the cool Virginia air.  As an artist, Lisa Marie has grown in leaps and bounds- from wonderful to outstanding.  My friend Tammy, who had never seen her before was swayed to buy the album.  Even if you do not know Lisa's journey, her songs will give anyone who has ever lived and loved something to relate to.  Lisa pointed out "I always sing about the same stuff. Different lyrics and tune- but always the same. I hope it means something different to you all." And it does.  That's what art is about. The artist creates with his or her own emotions, thoughts, heart and soul, then presents the work to the audience. In their eyes, the song, painting, book...etc takes on another meaning as it reflects the experiences of the beholder. 

What a great week- thanks to Lisa, her band, my mom, and Deena for the great experiences. I'm sure this will not be my last Lisa experience- so make sure to stay tuned. So long! 




4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your experiences. sounds like you had a wonderful time at all the venues. love the story of the young fan with the tambourine. sorry you didn't get to talk to Lisa this year, but maybe at your concert you will.

    a great read, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Monica! I hope I will have future chances to talk to her again, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that after MJ passed, many gained new insight into Lisa and their relationship, and will continue to do so as we learn bits and pieces. And yes, her lyrics tell stories, much of which I suspect are about him.

    I loved reading all about Lisa’s shows. It’s great that she is playing the smaller more intimate venues and the fans are able to get up close. Everyone seems to share a camaraderie and really feel her emotions when she performs. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete